Salicylic Acid Drug Information - Usage, Side Effects and Dosage
Learn about the common usage, side effects and recommended Dosage of Salicylic Acid
Brand Name: Re-Sa
Generic Name: Salicylic Acid
Salicylic Acid is a keratolytic (peeling agent) used in treating warts, psoriasis, dandruff, acne and other skin disorders. It works by increasing the moisture in the skin, breaking up the substances that causes the skin cells to stick together and sheds the outer layer of the skin. It is also used to treat corns and calluses and removes the dead skin from warts.
Ingredients in Salicylic Acid:
Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid
Salicylic Acid dosage:
- Use Salicylic acid exactly as prescribed by the doctor
- Dosage may vary according to skin conditions
- Apply only on the infected area of the skin
Salicylic Acid Side effects:
Side effects include redness and a burning sensation near the treated area. In some cases, serious skin irritation or allergic reaction such as rash, swelling/itching on face and throat.
Salicylic Acid Contraindications & Drug interactions:
Do not start or stop the medication without consulting your physician. Do not use this medication if you are using live flu vaccine. Tell your physician in case you are using any cosmetic skin products/non-prescription or herbal products especially methotrexate, diuretics or water pills, aspirin or salicylate products.
Salicylic Acid Safety & Precautions:
- Do not use Salicylic acid unless prescribed by your physician
- Do not use salicylic acid with any medicated cosmetics or skin care products that contain alcohol, harsh soaps or cleansers; medications include tretinoin, benzoyl peroxide and resorcinol as it creates irritation on the skin
- Do not take Salicylic Acid if you are breastfeeding as Salicylic acid passed through breast milk will affect the nursing baby
- This medication should not be used by children younger than 2 years of age
Salicylic Acid Storage:
- Keep Salicylic acid in the container it came in, tightly closed and out of reach of children.
- Store at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture.