Brand Name: Cortef
Generic Name: Hydrocortisone
Hydrocortisone provides relief for inflamed areas of the body. It is also used to treat various ailments such as allergic disorders, breathing problems, ulcerative colitis, arthritis, lupus, skin conditions and psoriasis. It works by reducing swelling, inflammation and irritation or as a replacement when the body does not make enough cortisol. It is also used to treat steroid deficiency in the body, blood disorders, ulcerative colitis and certain types of cancer.
- Take Hydrocortisone as prescribed by your healthcare provider
- The dosage may vary from 20 mg to 240 mg depending on the individual’s condition
- You may need to slowly decrease your dose before stopping it completely
Common side effects include acne, headache, dizziness, increased sweating, nausea, stomach pain, bloating, insomnia, mood changes and serious reactions like shortness in breath, high blood pressure, depression, seizure, rapid weight gain and pancreatitis.
Hydrocortisone Contradiction and Drug Interactions
When Hydrocortisone interacts with another drug, it is likely to result in Systemic fungal infections and hypersensitivity. Do not use Hydrocortisone with aprepitant, barbiturates and anti-coagulants like warfarin, aspirin, hydantoins, mifepristone, clarithromycin, azole antifungals, phenytoin, rifampin and phenobarbital.
Hydrocortisone Safety & Precautions
- Hydrocortisone should not be administered to children
- Do not use if you have a medical history of stomach ulcer, osteoporosis, glaucoma and high blood pressure
- Using too much of Hydrocortisone or using it for a long time may increase the risk of adrenal gland problems
Store at controlled room temperature 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F)