Generic Name - Duloxetine
Brand Name - Cymbalta
Duloxetine is used to treat major depressive disorder and general anxiety disorder. It acts on the unbalanced chemicals of the brain that causes anxiety/depression. It also treats fibromyalgia which is a chronic pain syndrome and anxiety that is caused in people with diabetes due to nerve damage.
- Take Duloxetine exactly as prescribed by the doctor
- Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended
- Try to take Duloxetine at the same time each day
Duloxetine Storage: Keep Duloxetine in the container it came in, tightly closed and out of reach of children. Store at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture.
Ingredients in Duloxetine:
Active ingredient: Duloxetine hydrochloride
Common side effects include jaundice, nausea, itching, overactive reflexes, rigid muscles, high fever, fast or uneven heartbeats and tremors
Contraindications & Drug interactions:
Do not use Duloxetine together with thioridazine (Mellaril), or a MAO Inhibitor such as furazolidone (Furoxone), isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar) and tranylcypromine (Parnate).
Safety & Precautions:
- Duloxetine should be administered to persons above the age group of 18 only
- Wait for at least 14 days if you have recently taken an antidepressant of the class monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) or Mellaril (thioridazine)
- You should not take Duloxetine if you have uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma i.e. increased eye pressure
- Duloxetine may cause sleepiness and dizziness